[lime-dev] magic icmp

Gioacchino Mazzurco gio at eigenlab.org
Wed May 15 18:59:38 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 15 May 2013 20:30:59 Pau wrote:
> I don't see the problem of depending in libpcap. I like to have
> tcpdump-mini in my nodes and it also depends on it.

yes but i think we doesn't want to depend on things unless are necessary

> I like that with the icmp approach the packet can be send using normal
> ping6 command.

yes i liked it too

> Anyway, magic-icmp is more than what we need and I will keep the
> development until we don't use it in libremesh. So if you want to
> implement it using UDP, for my is completelly fine!

I think that using libpcap just for exchanging some packet is an overkill,
maybe i am wrong but i think it can have a performance hit on routers

because pcap works coping the packets from kernel space to user applying the
filter you provide, i think this more CPU intensive than an udp socket moreover
with udp socket we can use a specific multicast group that i think is a good
thing ;)