[lime-dev] autconfig/autobuild

NicoEchániz nicoechaniz at altermundi.net
Mon May 27 20:07:00 UTC 2013

On 05/27/2013 04:00 PM, Gioacchino Mazzurco wrote:
> In eigennet firmware we really didn't have a build system, so have an autconfig
> script inside the device make a lot of sense, but in libre-mesh we have lime-
> build and chef, so were we put the limit between autobuild and autoconfig ?
>
> Autoconfig works well on simple devices like picostation or nanostation, but on
> more complex setup like the black tplink is not the good approach, so i was
> thinking about completely moving to a build + profile system without or with
> minimal autoconfig script on the device
>
> what do you think about that ?

We actually use a complete auto-config system for the different router
models we use.
The chef is used to customize the final firmware if you need to, but if
you just use a basic AlterMesh firmware without customizaton it will
"just work".

I believe auto-configuration is one of the important aspects of all this
project. Maybe we can look a bit more into the auto-config approaches in
the three existing firmwares and get ideas from all.

AlterMesh auto configuration is this package:
https://colectivo.altermundi.net/projects/altermesh-packages/repository/show/batmesh-autoconf

And the auto-gw-mode:
https://colectivo.altermundi.net/projects/altermesh-packages/repository/show/batman-adv-auto-gw-mode

(guido did you push your last changes to the repo?)

I believe that in our roadmap we should first check that the
configuration for both network models (batman+bmx everywhere & bmx on
border nodes) are known and tested, and then adapt our auto-config
systems to create those configurations automatically.

Is the work done by gui and gio on the manual config (done in Berlin)
available somewhere?