[lime-dev] Temba ERA Re: FirstBootWizard Description for Hackathon in Quintana

Nicolas Pace nico at libre.ws
Mon Sep 10 12:09:56 UTC 2018

Hi Pedro,

El 10/09/18 a las 13:35, guifipedro escribió:
> I got inspired by chef.libremesh.org and more closely to work of
> yanosz that presented in previous battlemesh [1] to do a firmware
> based on (erb) templates called temba [2]. Right now serves the
> purpose to substitute qMp in Barcelona but it can be greatly adapted
> to ANY purpose.

I thought u have been using LibreMesh...
what inspired you to start a new distribution instead of using LibreMesh?
What did you tried to do that you couldn't and you ended up creating yet
another version?
maybe we can get to integrate that so we mantain a single codebase
alltogether.

> If you want to understand how it works it is probably better that you
> try original idea [1] (70 lines of code), and think that is even more
> flexible/complex. For example, it contains a form ror app so users can
> generate its own firmware.

Part of LibreMesh approach is for users not necessarily create firmwares
(because it is a very advanced thing to do).
chef and lime-sdk try to tackle that topic by facilitating both sdk
manipulation and building without those.

> The strong idea about this is to get an openwrt firmware ready to go
> and capable of doing mesh.

That is exactly what LibreMesh does (and more!) :)

> So if the firmware is well done, the user
> don't need to enter the antena to do any configuration.

It is actually much more complex than that.
Different devices have different features (amount of radios, antennas,
etc), and also network config changes depending on the context (who they
need to connect to or role of the node (AP, mesh, both))

> Also, as the
> final configuration is the initial configuration, you can use the
> "first boot" and is robust to electrical discharges. In case user
> enters the antenna things got changed effectively
>
> That's it, I'm sharing it here if you guys find something useful for your design

Thanks,