[lime-users] Throttling bandwidth

Nicolas Pace nico at libre.ws
Fri May 5 12:21:07 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 11:28 +0200, Ilario Gelmetti wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 11:14 PM, Marvin Arnold via lime-users wrote:
> > What's the best way for nodes giving Internet access to control how
> > much
> > bandwidth they will share? Preferably depending on the day of the
> > week
> > and time?
>
> I would try to install "luci-app-qos" package for OpenWrt/LEDE, it
> adds
> to the web interface the setting for limiting upload and download
> speed.
> https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/traffic_shaping
> I never tried to use it with LibreMesh, no idea if it works out of
> the
> box...

The web interface does not appear to allow the application of rules
depending on the time of day:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8505/8404265917_b894302ed0_b.jpg
As he needs to have a specific behaviour, perhaps you can use that
package but with a set of cron rules instead of the visual tool.
Based on the same suggestion from Ilario, and info from this page
https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/traffic_shaping
I would suggest you to:
* install the qos-scripts: opkg install qos-scripts
* add the rate limiting you need:
uci set qos.wan.upload=1000            # Upload speed in kBits/s
uci set qos.wan.download=16000         # Download speed in kBits/s
uci set qos.wan.enabled=1
uci commit qos
* enable or disable qos with cron
/etc/init.d/qos enable
/etc/init.d/qos disable

> Doesn't look to have the time scheduling included.
> WonderShaper seems to be obsolete:
> https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Wondershaper_Must_Die

Well... for what I read it is not that wonder shaper is obsolete, but
more that the tools that wondershaper usually uses add buffer bloat,
something that you really don't want to add... so you better use the
other one :)

Let us know how it went!