[lime-users] Throttling bandwidth

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Mon May 8 21:17:29 UTC 2017

On 05/05/17 14:21, Nicolas Pace wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 11:28 +0200, Ilario Gelmetti wrote:
>> On 05/04/2017 11:14 PM, Marvin Arnold via lime-users wrote:
>>> What's the best way for nodes giving Internet access to control how
>>> much
>>> bandwidth they will share? Preferably depending on the day of the
>>> week
>>> and time?
>>
>> I would try to install "luci-app-qos" package for OpenWrt/LEDE, it
>> adds
>> to the web interface the setting for limiting upload and download
>> speed.
>> https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/traffic_shaping
>> I never tried to use it with LibreMesh, no idea if it works out of
>> the
>> box...
>
> The web interface does not appear to allow the application of rules
> depending on the time of day:
> http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8505/8404265917_b894302ed0_b.jpg
> As he needs to have a specific behaviour, perhaps you can use that
> package but with a set of cron rules instead of the visual tool.
> Based on the same suggestion from Ilario, and info from this page
> https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/traffic_shaping
> I would suggest you to:
> * install the qos-scripts: opkg install qos-scripts
> * add the rate limiting you need:
> uci set qos.wan.upload=1000            # Upload speed in kBits/s
> uci set qos.wan.download=16000         # Download speed in kBits/s
> uci set qos.wan.enabled=1
> uci commit qos
> * enable or disable qos with cron
> /etc/init.d/qos enable
> /etc/init.d/qos disable
>

>> Doesn't look to have the time scheduling included.
>> WonderShaper seems to be obsolete:
>> https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Wondershaper_Must_Die
>
> Well... for what I read it is not that wonder shaper is obsolete, but
> more that the tools that wondershaper usually uses add buffer bloat,
> something that you really don't want to add... so you better use the
> other one :)

in fact there's sqm-scripts now, which are the buffferbloat-approved
tools and obsolete both wondershaper and qos-scripts ;)
i've used them (there's a luci-app for them too) precisely to limit
upload/download bandwith and it worked like a charm.
there's no builtin time-scheduling support but you can make a small cron
script for that, for sure